Tuesday 8 October 2013

Give it up for Ego


I was told  I need to pursue life vigorously while I still have time. That I need to  step out of my comfort zone and drive myself... I should work hard and make sacrifices to achieve my life goals.
Why?
What if I don't have any "life goals?" What if I lack ambition and drive?
Isn't this purely ego?......At the end of your life, if you've failed to achieve your goals, what does it matter to anyone? Of Course, it matters not to anyone but yourself.
And once you've breathed your last breath, it won't even matter to you anymore.
The point I'm trying to make is that this whole bucket list thing is really about your ego and about making yourself feel good (or at least as good as possible) while you are living your life.
In other words, it's all about being in the moment and how you feel about yourself, and your life, in the moment. It's not about making the world a better place -- this would be incidental and a self-justification in the service of your belief system which, of course, would ultimately make you feel better about your life.
No matter how you slice and dice it, it all comes down to how you *feel* about yourself. In the present moment. While you are still living.
Naturally, if other people recognize your achievements, this would make you feel better. This, then, is an ancillary motivation: having others around you *validate* your life by heaping praise upon you.
But in the final analysis, you have to be true to yourself, to who you are at the core. If you can feel good about your life without having accomplished anything, why should anyone else's opinion about your life matter?
I don't have a bucket list. I'm taking life at a very leisurely pace. And why not? The only one who needs to feel good about himself is ME & I.

No comments:

Post a Comment